Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Making people feel terrible for good reasons.

You know what I like about this book I'm writing? The main character has an anxiety disorder that keeps him from doing a significant number of things (mainly going to college without stressing out about the whole thing). Throughout the story, he continually tells himself things like "I should work through my meaningless panic" or "This is silly, I'm ridiculous and inferior" or "Why can't I be better than this and be like people who aren't as stupid as me?" and general self-defeating things that would also be said by society at large.

And your average reader who's part of society at large would nevertheless probably be feeling sorry for this character throughout the whole story (because fiction has this way of getting you to look inside a character's mind and make you relate to them or at least think positively of them in ways you might not have if you knew them in real life). And at some point, this hypothetical person will be reading the book and yell at the character, "Stop saying such negative things about yourself!"

And then the average reader will realize, with a sense of rising horror and shame, that the kinds of things the character is saying to himself are the kinds of things they would say to someone with similar problems if they met them in real life.

(I love writing things that make people feel horrible for very valid reasons.)

No comments:

Post a Comment