Tuesday, February 10, 2015

To ruin someone's day

There was a time, very early on in my Submitting Stuff To Publishers career, where my justification for sending people things was "to ruin someone's day". The implication was that my poetry and stories were so terrible, so awful, that to force someone to read them would effectively ruin their day. To send my writing out there was to doom someone to read it and thus to doom them to a day that had been irreparably wrecked by exposure to my creative processes. My stuff was just so bad that it had the power to ruin someone's day.
And I liked that.
wanted to ruin people's days. And I wanted to ruin people's days with my writing
I sent out my stuff to literary magazines and blogs and stuff with the justification that I was doing so to ruin people's days. I got a lot of rejection letters but I also got a few acceptances and all because I wanted to ruin people's days. Incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment