Friday, May 1, 2015

one way to get a story done

So the day before yesterday,  I wrote a few paragraphs that seemed like the opening to a short story. This was in the afternoon. 

Yesterday, without reading that opening, I continued from where I thought it left off and wrote a reasonable-length short story. For some reason, I ended up making breaks of a line’s worth of space, like I was breaking the story up into sections. This was between 12 PM and 1 AM.

Today, I read the first section compared to the next ones and found that they were almost completely compatible (I just had to change some of the names and phrasings I’d used in the first paragraph, which were not applicable to how I’d written the rest of the thing). I’m now wondering what it’d be like if I put the sections in the wrong order (I wrote it all chronologically) and I used a random number generator on the internet to put the story into eight different orders. I chose eight because that’s the number of sections that were in the story. This is from 6 to 7 PM.

Tomorrow, I’m going to read all eight of the different versions (or “remixes”, as I saved them) and see which I like best, or if I want to put them in a less-random but still anachronic order of my own. Or maybe I’ll decide that the original was perfectly fine as it was. I don’t know when I’ll do that.

Well, it’s one way to get a story done.

No comments:

Post a Comment