Friday, October 12, 2012

In which I say something awesome, Doctorish, and witty.

Yesterday, I did something I'm rather proud of and that I feel very good about. It started out with me reading this article (which is about how scientists have discovered a distant planet that is essentially a diamond bigger than Earth). The first comment I see is by some dude who basically says that this is uninteresting and unimportant because a giant planet made of diamond cannot benefit our species. I reply with this stinger:

"I don't mean to insult you, but I think it's the mark of an awfully small mind to think that a planet is only valuable or interesting if it's habitable by humans, especially if said planet has some kind of distinguishing factor such as, I don't know, perhaps being made of diamond."

Another guy posts soon thereafter, telling me that I'm absolutely right and that he approves of what I said. He then says something about how this is valuable because we've learned something about our universe (or somesuch) and I tell him that's a great summation of what science is like.

The first guy then says something to the effect of, "Okay, it's a planet made of diamond, yaaay! There are billions out there like it, what's the point of it, other than that it's a big diamond in space?"

My response:

"See, here's the thing - there are some things that are amazing because they can benefit us in ways we had never expected. And then there are things that are amazing simply because we find them and we think, 'Wow, that's completely out-there, we never thought we'd find it, it's beautiful and strange and fantastic!' If I were telling someone just a few days ago about the concept of a huge diamond planet, they'd say, 'Oh, that's a nice fantasy. Go write a sci-fi story for it. That IS what you were talking about, right? Just a story.' But now we know that one exists, and it proves that the universe is amazing and incredible beyond what we think it is.

Things don't have to be useful to be valid. Sometimes, it's enough for them to be beautiful. Sometimes, it's enough for a planet made of diamond to exist to qualify it as amazing. Now, I understand that it's important to use science to find things that benefit humans. I perfectly understand that. But at the same time, some things that science discovers are beautiful just because they ARE. Have you ever seen or been exposed to something - a sunset, a painting, an animal, a really good song - and think, 'That's beautiful' or 'that's wonderful', even though it didn't benefit you or humanity in a utilitarian way? That's what this planet is like.

As for whether or not there are planets like this out in the universe - you're right, there probably are more huge chunks of diamond that we can't use for anything, just going in circles around stars our telescopes can't even reach. What makes this one any different? Well, just because there's a lot of them doesn't make it any less special. That's like suggesting that one person isn't special because there's, what, seven billion others on the planet just like them. Like saying, 'No, why do you think you're a special person? The world is full of people. There's loads of people. Many of them are even like you in a lot of ways.' But no. It doesn't work that way. Whether we're talking about people or planets, each one is special and important and magnificent in its own way, simply by virtue of existing and being what it is. And you don't get that. I'm sorry, but you really don't get that? And I don't say that to be patronizing or insulting or anything. It just makes me sad that things like this don't fill you with even the slightest bit of wonder and that you think that, just because we can't do anything with it to serve the human race or because there are most likely billions of other diamond planets out there, it's not worth our time or attention. That's really quite sad."

The guy who posted the original comment then says, "LOL......ok.....smh......lol.....wow....LOLOLOL.....You're a real doozy......"

I said, "Why, thank you."

So yeah. I feel like a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment