Sunday, June 30, 2013

Last Words

Do you ever think of something you did in the past and think, "Yes, that was a good choice. I'm glad I made it"? Because I'm having such a moment with something I did about a year and a month ago. When I had to leave my old school - the only place I had ever felt comfortable or okay, the place where everything I loved or cared about was - I spent quite some time considering what my last words before effectively leaving the school campus forever were.

I was tremendously obsessed with Doctor Who at the time (I used it as a coping tactic to deal with the fact that I had to leave my school - senior year was overshadowed by a sense of dread because I knew the end was coming). I wanted my last words to be, "I don't want to go", which were the Tenth Doctor's last words and an accurate summation of how I felt. But instead, the last words I said before leaving everyone and everything were, "It's the end, but the moment has been prepared for", which were the Fourth Doctor's last words and, while not an accurate representation of the situation (I did not feel the least bit prepared), it was a better, more mature thing to say than what I would have wanted to say.

And I'm thinking, yes, that was a good choice. I'm glad I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment