Monday, October 6, 2014

I write science fiction

I write science fiction because that's the only genre where "people like me" are portrayed positively.

And when I say "people like me", I mean "individuals who feel removed from humanity and everything that 'humanity' entails". It's usually because they're literal aliens and I'm only a metaphorical alien but I can relate to their situation.

And in science fiction, they're portrayed positively. Humans like me in fiction tend to be treated very negatively. Albert Camus's The Stranger. Hannibal Lecter. That kind of thing.

I guess it's a form of keeping my sanity. Because if I tried to venture into types of writing where the only people who reminded me of myself for meaningful reasons get labelled as sociopaths, it would mess me up even more than I'm already messed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment