Monday, April 9, 2012

April 9 - Food, trying to be Neil Gaiman, and food again

It has occurred to me that The Week of Dreams may actually be my first piece of writing to depict anyone eating. There was a short story, "Jeremy", which had a part where the title character was given some cake, but he didn't eat it. (Or, if I remember correctly, he didn't eat it. Or it didn't say. Though he was taking an awful lot of painkillers. But I don't count that as eating.)


Seriously, though, what is this thing where I don't talk about eating? Is it this weird reverse oral fixation thing, where I just don't depict it a lot? That said, I do enjoy food quite a bit. But that could be it; food is a mundane pleasure for me that has no place in the realms of fantasies or unpleasant stories. That is, "mundane pleasures" will not occur in stories that are not mundane and/or pleasurable.


Or it could be that I'm reading American Gods and there are a number of references to eating in it (such as Odin taking all the mythological gods out to dinner after they ride the world's largest carousel - I love being able to say things like that out of context). You know how you might experiment with trying to be a writer you like - you might try to be F. Scott Fitzgerald, or C.S. Lewis, or That Creative Writing Teacher You Had Two Years Ago - well, I'm trying to be Neil Gaiman. Which is actually pretty helpful. His sentences are always masterfully crafted, and whenever I'm staring down a sentence that doesn't want to be so cooperative, I just think, "What Would Gaiman Do?" and fix it accordingly. Do you see what I mean?


I ought to get back to writing. I don't think I've done even 500 yet, and I am very much sticking to my "1,000 words a day" rule. I am. What's giving me trouble is, well, food. I'm quite serious. I don't know what my main character's favorite food should be, and that comes up in a very important way. He comes home to find his otherself (sort of a dream-keeping doppelganger) raiding the fridge or cupboard or whatever and eating his favorite food, but I don't know what the favorite food should be. It should be something kind of odd - like fish and custard, maybe, but of course I can't use fish and custard. (The BBC probably wouldn't like it, and I'd have lots of Doctor Who fans realizing how much my works are a ripoff of their beloved program.) I was thinking about having him take meat (any kind of meat, I guess - like beef patty or something), put it in a bowl of milk, and microwave that for thirty seconds or something, but then I realized how disgusting that sounded. It's not even silly, like fish and custard. Maybe he should just like pickles or something. No. Pickles are cliche. I honestly believe that. I must stay away from the cliche of pickles.


I know. He slices up mangoes, puts a little bit of salt on them, and microwaves them in a bowl full of milk. That's it. Actually, that's a pretty good one. It's not too wacky and doesn't sound too disgusting. Sounds like something my little sister would eat. I have figured out my narrator's favorite food and I can continue writing. See, I knew this blog would be useful. I just figured out my character's favorite food, and the writing can commence as usual. I knew this would be good for something.



No comments:

Post a Comment