Thursday, May 10, 2012

May 10 - The lack of writing, horror fiction, and chocolate milk.

It's so strange to have a writing blog when I have nothing to write. I'm working on some short stories right now. Most of them are for school. Such as a tale about a serial killer that I'm writing right now; it's for my Horror Fiction class, and I really don't want to write it. I used to be able to come up with and write stories with this with little difficulty, probably because I hadn't internalized the ideas so much or didn't need to internalize them so much. I mean that now, I tend to agree with most of the things I write. Until the end of the story (which I won't spoil if any of my imaginary readers reads it), nothing happens that I would agree with and no one expresses any idea that I would ever hold. It's rather brutal, too, because most of the murders take place in a kitchen with kitchen tools as the murdering implements. Which doesn't sound too terrible until you think about it. At least it's not actually graphic; the killer talks about what he did but doesn't go into details such as blood or intestines or broken bones or anything. I can't tell if this is more or less scary than it would be if he really described it.

I think I may have this obsession with families right now. The only reason I say this is because the friendship story I'm making up is largely about a family dispute, and whenever I try to write something along with the students in a class I'm teaching, I end up making up things about families. Yesterday, I started a story about two siblings, one of whom is drinking chocolate milk the way their grandma used to make it. Their grandma recently died, and the narrator is jealous of his sister drinking the chocolate milk because they used to drink it when they were children but he developed intolerance to lactose and he actually appreciated everything their grandma did for them, unlike the sister. This is actually a good idea for a story, and I will show it to Mr. Blaylock sometime. Mr. Blaylock is a teacher of mine; he likes things like that.

1 comment:

  1. good ideas those are...Qu'est-ce que c'est...tell me you remember the reference...your first story that you talked about reminded me.

    ReplyDelete