Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Professional Writer

Right, something exciting happened recently.


See this thing? The thing that's in the picture? For those who can't see it for some reason, it's a smallish yellow piece of paper with "Poets & Writers" in big letters at the top, "About your rate reduction" in smaller letters below, and an explanation of how they're giving me a discount on their thing because I'm a professional writer below it.

Well, this thing came from a magazine called Poets & Writers (as one might expect), and they're giving me a discount on their thing because I'm a professional writer. I was in the mountains with my family over the weekend, and when we came back, this had come in the post. I didn't send off for this. This came in the mail, entirely unbidden by anything I'd done. And it was addressed specifically to me. On another piece of paper, there's an explanation of what exactly this is, and it's got my name on it. Multiple times! They sent it specifically to me!

The magazine, they explained, is for poets and writers (naturally) and it's got information about editors, writing, agents, submitting, the writer business. Naturally, anyone who's trying to be a Professional Writer should have the sort of information it has, and since I'm a Professional Writer (apparently - note the definition of "professional writer" is "someone who has been formally paid to write at least once"), I get these sorts of things much cheaper than Non-Professional Writers.

For those who think it's suspicious that they sent this to me out of nowhere, I don't think it's too suspicious at all because they likely got my address from one of the magazines that's published my work before (since you send those people your address and things like that). And I looked it up, and it's an actual publication that appears to be pretty legit and well-known, meaning it's likely not a scam.
 
The discount they sent me is pretty brilliant - normally a subscription is something over $30, but I got it for $9.95. Because I'm a professional writer. Because they want professional writers to have access to good information. And apparently I'm a professional writer! (Yes, I know I'm being too excited over this, and it's not like I'm an actual professional writer who can write for a living or anything, but still.)

I don't know which to be most excited about - the fact that they sent this to me when I didn't request it (thus meaning they somehow must have known about me and wanted to give me this), the fact that I'm going to have access to a bunch of probably useful information, or the fact that someone I don't even know acknowledged my status as a Professional Writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment