Monday, May 12, 2014

I had a stroke of genius this morning in the shower.

People should make shampoo bottles that have poems on the back.

I found myself reading the back of a shampoo bottle while in the shower this morning, because I was bored and I was showering and I like reading things to keep my eyes and mind occupied. (This is why I read the backs of cereal boxes when I was a child.)

Then I realized what I was doing, and I went, "You know, this is kind of stupid. Why have I stooped to reading the back of shampoo bottles?"

And then I went, "It's because there's nothing else to read."

And then I went, "You know, that's kind of stupid."

I then tried to figure out how to solve this problem. I immediately thought that shampoo companies should print shampoo bottles with short stories on the back, but then I realized that most short stories are probably too long to put on the back of shampoo bottles. Short stories that short are just not that common. But then I realized that there is an abundance of short poems in the world and an abundance of people who are willing to write them.

Think of it. They could have a different poem for each scent/variety of shampoo. And it could vaguely correspond to whatever impression they think the scent/variety of shampoo is trying to give off. And since everybody uses shampoo, it would be really great exposure for poets. It would be a really prestigious (or at least impressive) thing to get your poem on the back of a shampoo bottle. Maybe it would become a trend. Maybe poetry would spread to other sorts of packaging, and society would engage in a mass movement to put poetry in places where it wasn't put before.

Maybe I'm really onto something here.

No comments:

Post a Comment